Victorian Era Exhibition at Earl’s Court
The Victorian Era Exhibition was held in Earl’s Court in August, 1897. It marked the 60th anniversary of Queen Victoria’s accession to the throne on June 20, 1837. Queen Victoria was the first British monarch ever to celebrate a Diamond Jubilee. The Exhibition The catalog was so large that it was published in several sections: fine art, historical/commemorative, women’s work, music/drama, and scientific/industrial/commercial/economic sections.
The “incubator baby” exhibition at Earl’s Court in 1897 followed immediately on the heels of the Berliner Gewerbeausstellung in 1896 and is (to my knowledge) the first documented attribution of such an exhibit to Dr. Martin Couney and his nurse Louise Recht (see links to Lancet articles below). In later years, Couney claimed to have been responsible for the incubator exhibit at the 1896 Berlin Industrial Exhibition, but contemporary accounts have proven otherwise.
According to the Lancet, the Earl’s Court exhibit used incubators built by Paul Altmann of Berlin. These appear to be identical to the Lion Incubator and were probably built under license from Dr. Alexandre Lion.
The incubator exhibit received widespread coverage in the medical press.
“On Monday members of the press were invited to a private view of the incubators for infants at the Victorian Era Exhibition, Earl’s-court. These are exhibited in a building facing the Welcome Club, and divided into three compartments. On one side there is sleeping accommodation for two wet nurses and for Mdlle. Louise Recht, who has been specially trained at the Paris Maternity Hospital to look after debilitated and prematurely born infants reared in incubators. A special service for this purpose was established at the Maternité in 1893, and here some 400 children, born under most unfavourable circumstances, are received annually. On the other side of the building there is a nursery, where the infants are taken to be fed and washed. The public are admitted to the central room, and here they can view the infants lying within the incubators, and are shown how the apparatus is ventilated and warmed and the temperature automatically maintained. The mechanism employed for this purpose has already been fully explained in these columns.  Its efficiency is now put to a practical test. Messrs. Coney and Schenbein, who are the representatives in England of this the “Altmann Incubator,” invite the criticism of the medical profession, and will supply every possible facility for the fullest investigation. They are ready to take in their charge any prematurely born child, and, apart from the trained nurse and the wet nurses, they have retained the services of two physicians, who attend three or four times a day to watch over the health of the infants. At night the watchman awakes the nurses every three hours so that they may feed the infants, and in the day time the babies are fed, generally from the breast, every two hours. In the nursery there is a small pharmacy, contrivances for sterilising milk, ingenious feeding bottles, and scales so that the infants may be weighed and their progress daily observed. A very large number of persons have already visited this exhibit, including many trained nurses. Much interest is manifested by the visitors. The incubators and the ventilating tubes are silvered, which gives them a bright and cheerful appearance, while the infants within look clean and comfortable, so that altogether it is a pleasant as well as an interesting sight.” –– The Lancet 2:161-162, July 17, 1897.
The excerpts below are from the popular press and the exhibit catalog.